Moving into a brand new office can be inspiring and motivating for your business and all who work with you, but it can also be a logistical nightmare if you’re the one tasked with managing it. A successful office move depends on fastidious planning. Break the relocation down into steps and stages, and the entire process will seem more manageable and less overwhelming.
Here is our list of must-dos during your relocation. We have gathered the points below from our vast experience in dealing with different offices and their moving requirements.
- STAFF AWARENESS: Let your staff know early on that you are planning a move.
- SET UP A MOVE TEAM: Assign a small team of staff members to help coordinate the move or have an in-house project manager.
- BUDGET: Setting a budget should be one of the first things you do. Be realistic and set aside a contingency fund to cover any unforeseen costs.
- BOOK A PROFESSIONAL OFFICE REMOVALIST: Do your research and as soon as you have a date for your move, book a reputable removalist that specializes in office removals. At JVA Movers, we know all that is required to ensure that your office relocation takes place without you breaking any sweat. Once you contact us, we will send our team to your office and give you an estimate on the time and cost of the moving job. Our moving team will always be in touch with your designated staff members to regularly update them about the moving job.
- BRAINSTORM POTENTIAL ISSUES: Gather together your move team and come up with any issues that may arise.
- KEEP CLIENTS INFORMED: Let clients know that you are moving and give them the dates so that they have your updated contact details.
- GET RID OF OLD EQUIPMENT AND FURNITURE: Don’t move items you don’t need anymore. Use the move as an opportunity to sort through what you do and don’t want in your brand new office.
- REDIRECT MAIL: Contact the post office to arrange for your mail to be redirected to your new address.
- ORDER NEW PHONE AND INTERNET CONNECTIONS: Ensure that the phones and Internet work as soon as you move to your new offices.
- DECOMMISSION YOUR IT SYSTEM: Back up all computers, remind everyone to remove USBs and CDs from their machines, and then either enlist the services of a professional or someone from your IT department to decommission all computers. Do make sure your moving company will move IT equipment and that equipment is last on and first off of the truck. Also, port your phone numbers. If you’re switching carriers, you’ll need to deport them from your current carrier to your new carrier in the event that things don’t go as planned.
- REMOVAL OF PERSONAL POSSESSIONS: Ensure all staff members clear out their desks and take all personal items home with them prior to the move date.
This is all that we have on our list right now. You should get things in check at least a month before you want to get your new office officially started.